Exceeded my own expectations!

First and foremost, I'd like to extend my deepest apologies for my absurdly long absence. I promise I have extremely good reasons for taking such a long hiatus, but perhaps that will be covered in a post different to this one. Meanwhile, I am ridiculously happy because I have awesome news to share with you guys!

Those of you who know me in real life, and are close enough to me, will know that I've been putting some amount of effort into IELTS.

Disclaimer: Bear with me and read through the next three paragraphs, or my story might thoroughly confuse you (especially if you're not familiar with IELTS). I'm so sorry - I really am!

For those who are unfamiliar with IELTS, the acronym stands for International English Language Testing System, and is one of the most popular tests determining one's English language ability. Taken by candidates from all over the globe in order to surpass a specific English language threshold (varying from institution to institution) such as migration, employment, or education in English-speaking countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, UK and US.

Typically, one would sit for either one of two modules: Academic or General Training. How do you choose which module to take? The former is for those planning to enter university and pursue a tertiary education, while the latter may be undertaken by those seeking employment or migration opportunities overseas. IELTS tests your skills in using the English language in four different components: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. While the Reading and Writing components for both modules have different style of questions to each other, the Listening and Speaking components are the same in both modules.

Essentially, IELTS assesses your ability to utilise English by awarding scores in the form of "bands", ranging from band 1 to band 9 (and also band 0, if the test was not attempted in any way whatsoever). You can read the full description here, and explanation of how band scores are calculated here.


...Now that I've covered enough information about IELTS, it's back to my story.

Within the last 8 months, I have taken the IELTS test three times. Yes, you read right. Three. Not once, not twice, but thrice! Why so many times? I was targeting a minimum of band 8 for each component. Full story just ahead, so sit tight:

For both temporary and permanent skilled independent visas, only those whose educational qualifications relate to occupations listed in the Skilled Occupations List were eligible to apply.

ATTEMPT #1: GENERAL TRAINING MODULE

I sat for the IELTS General Training module back in December 2014, when I was applying for my Temporary Graduate visa. This was a visa that allowed me to work, live, and travel in Australia for a maximum of two years after finishing my studies in Australia. Despite all the strict conditions and headache-inducing paperwork, however, I managed to get the visa application successfully processed, and I had been on this visa since April 2015.

I sat for the test when I was in Malaysia, and I felt that the test was relatively easy. My test scores were as follows:
Listening: 8.0
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 7.5
Speaking: 8.0
Overall: 8.0
ATTEMPT #2: ACADEMIC MODULE

I remember getting frustrated because the reading component was unexpectedly complicated. I was so used to straightforward direct-from-text answers that I nearly busted a vein in my brain from attempting the practice tests. Doing this while practically working full-time was no easy feat, either. The night before, I was so stressed and nervous that I hardly got any sleep. Sitting for a 3.5-hour test was not easy, especially not on about 2 hours of sleep. Expectedly, my test scores were really shitty:
Listening: 8.0
Reading: 7.0
Writing: 7.0
Speaking: 7.0
Overall: 7.5
ATTEMPT #3: ACADEMIC MODULE

A month after my second attempt, I decided to sit for it again. From the point in time after my second attempt, I went back to completing more practice tests. I decided to just stop worrying so much and I went to sleep early the night before. I was definitely more refreshed and awake and feeling more confident about my chances of securing those band 8's this time around.

Two weeks later, the scores were out, and it was definitely the best news I'd had in a really, really long while:

Test details blanked out for very good reasons.
The day I got my test results, I called up my agent who was assisting with my Permanent Resident visa. I went to the migration agency office the very same day to have the results verified. The visa is a points-based one, and I successfully exceeded the minimum points requirement with my IELTS test scores.

Fast forward to 5th January 2016, I am now an Australian Permanent Resident. I couldn't be happier - I have the option of working and living in Australia indefinitely now. There may come a time when I will take up citizenship, but I'll probably need at least a year or two to think about that.

Meanwhile, my job search continues - hopefully with better prospects now that I hold PR status.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last 5 years (May 2020) / Living in times of COVID-19

First post!

Trials & Turmoil: Part 1 - Parting Ways