IT Roo Cafe + The Ice-Cream Project

The 5th of December, 2014 marks the fifteenth day since I arrived back home after a year-long absence. Most Malaysian foodies who've been overseas for a lengthy period of time will understand the excitement about returning home, because FOOD. Need I say more?

As one of the aforementioned overseas Malaysian foodies, being home meant several food trips to make up for the local fare I've missed out on. These food trips are with the family, and often take place mainly in JB and KL (and sometimes Malacca). Out of so many food adventures I've been on for the last two weeks so far though, I decided to blog about this one because I went to eat at one of my childhood favourites - none other than IT Roo Cafe!

It's been at least 2 years since I went there to eat, so naturally I was eager to go back there after a really long time.

My parents really spoil me, driving into town on a Friday evening for dinner at one of the more popular restaurants. The Johor weekend is on Friday and Saturday, so we were hoping there wasn't a full house.

IT Roo Cafe
Set on Jalan Dhoby, dubbed the 'hipster area' of JB, the quaint little Hainanese establishment has been around for about twenty years, give or take a year. Looks to me that their signboard was updated quite recently with their slogan "The Best Chicken Chop In Town", right below the restaurant name.

Patrons who appreciate the sunshine have the option of sitting at one of the tables outside, but of course the "vampires" or those simply uncomfortable with sweltering in the humid Malaysian heat can hide within the confines of the air-conditioned indoors. We weren't exactly keen on producing enough sweat to power an electric fence capable of producing a 10,000-volt electric shock a la Jurassic Park, so the indoors it was for us.

As I walked in, I noticed the place was nearly full with only a few tables vacant. The other patrons were made up of mostly families, groups of friends, and young adult couples. The interior resembled what I'd imagine a Malaysian cafe was like in the 1970's. It's a shame I don't have pictures. I really did like the cosy, old-timey feel of the restaurant. Besides being fitted with air-conditioning and chairs of better quality, it looked like it hasn't changed much since its opening.

Now on to the food. I had to have their signature dish, of course. Best chicken chop in town, coming right up!

Chicken Chop, RM15
Don't mind the messy bit of sauce at the top. I started chowing down before realising I'd forgotten to snap a photo first. It's important that I have food in my tummy, okay?

You're given the option of having your chicken chop grilled or fried, topped with either black pepper or mushroom gravy. I decided to go with the grilled/mushroom option. I prefer it grilled mainly because of health reasons, since fried food can be really unhealthy. Not that I'm a health nut, or even close to being one. I just prefer not to consume so much cholesterol-laden fried chicken skin, if I can help it.

I was not at all disappointed with my meal. The flattened chicken thigh was thoroughly cooked, yet tender. The result was chicken that was succulent and moist. The meat came apart easily as I cut into it with a regular knife. The chicken broth gave the mushroom sauce a good, savoury flavour. Not too salty, it was just nice. The sauce had slices of real mushrooms in it too, which was great.

Let's just say I loved it.

Chicken Chop & 2 Eggs, RM17
Pa's meal, which is basically what I had, but with two fried eggs for an extra RM2. He gave me one half of the two, erm, conjoined fried eggs. The fried egg was nothing special, but I reckon it went well with the chicken chop.

The plating was a little questionable, with the fried eggs practically hiding the chicken chop. Then again, there wasn't enough room on the plate, so I guess it had to do.

Fish & Chips
I'd forgotten how much Mom's meal costs, but the fish was quite an anti-climax. Even though the batter had sufficient amount of seasoning, it just wasn't crispy. Safe to say that the fish was soft and flaky, which is how I usually like my fish, so I guess that saved it somewhat.

I've been spoiled by Australian fish and chips. Oh dear.

All of our meals had the same potato wedges and coleslaw on the side. The wedges could have been crispier, but being someone who obsesses over potato in all forms, I had no complaints. The 'slaw had a light mayo flavour, without the overbearing vinegar flavour found in some 'slaws I've had before.


Verdict: Their chicken chop's still pretty damn good after many many years!

The Ice-Cream Project
The Ice-Cream Project was completely unfamiliar territory to me, as it opened sometime in mid-2014, when I was still in Sydney. Pa was the one who recommended going there for dessert, so we decided to give it a try.

A swing outside the shop, reminiscent of carefree childhood days.
The swing was set relatively low, perhaps it was meant for small children and not fatass adults like yours truly.

Some hipster deco
The place definitely looked like a hipster cafe, or at least what I think a hipster cafe looks like. Trust me, I am, by no definition, a hipster. When it comes to being hipster, I am hopelessly more clueless than Michael Jackson in a boxing ring.

Don't try to understand my analogies, but God bless you if you do.

After getting a table, we started flipping through the menu. There's not much selection, to be honest. A few ice-cream flavours, several selections of tea and...that's about it. I don't have a picture of the menu, so there may or may not be more items on the menu.

Anyhow, we were there for the ice-cream, so we only looked at those. The available flavours were Original (otherwise just milk), Chocolate, Butterscotch, and Brownies & Cream. Being the sweet tooth that he is, Pa ordered the Butterscotch, while I went for the Brownies & Cream.

Ice-cream-making in progress

The ice-cream here is made on the spot, using liquid nitrogen. The ingredients are blended together in an electric mixer as liquid nitrogen is poured in simultaneously. The result is smooth, creamy, delicious ice-cream, minus the freezer burn.

Liquid nitrogen tanks
 Cropped myself out of the picture because I'm a fatass.

As we were waiting for our ice-cream, one of the guys informed us that their liquid nitrogen tanks just came in that day, so the gas might leak a bit and create an alarming sound. I think it was great that he informed us beforehand so we don't have a heart attack in the middle of stuffing our faces with ice-cream.

Or you know, if we just get a shock and choke on ice-cream instead.

Not sure if choking on ice-cream is possible, but yeah...you get the idea.

"It is a good habit to eat ice-cream before meals."
I highly doubt it.

Brownies & Cream
The cream tasted light and fresh, and no sickeningly sweet sugary tase to it - just the way I like my ice-cream/gelato. Brownie points for the crunchy brownie bits that added some texture to it!

Butterscotch
Apparently this is just original milk-flavoured ice-cream with butterscotch sauce generously drizzled all over it. Butterscotch isn't my thing, but Pa seemed to like it, so...good I guess?


Verdict: Reasonably good, freshly-made ice-cream. 10/10 would definitely come here again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last 5 years (May 2020) / Living in times of COVID-19

First post!

Trials & Turmoil: Part 1 - Parting Ways